Reading time: approx 5 mins

Everything you wanted to know...and more!

Does the Alton Mill have a liquor license ?

No, the Alton Mill does not have a liquor license. Either a Special Occasion Permit (SOP) must be obtained or a caterer with an ACGO Catering Endorsement must be hired. A SOP can be easily arranged by us. Applications are required 10 to 21 days in advance, and there are additional requirements for outdoor events. See www.agco.on.ca for details. Prior to every function, a copy of the license must be provided to the Alton Mill.

Only a certified SmartServe bartender may serve alcohol on site. Most professional caterers will supply such staff upon request.

Does the Alton Mill charge a corkage fee ?

No. There is no markup on wine, beer and liquor purchased for a function - a substantial saving compared to other venues that have either corkage fees or require that alcohol be purchased through their exclusive caterer. We do however charge caterers a Landmark Fee for use of the space. 

Is there space on the Alton Mill grounds for outdoor wedding ceremonies ?

Yes. There are several beautiful and unique locations where ceremonies can be held, including inside the tented  Annex Courtyard , a grass area beside the Annex, a terrace beside the Millpond, and a grass area beside Shaw’s Creek. There is a separate fee for just hosting an on-site ceremony. Generally the ceremony fee includes the use of the Pond Gallery as a backup location in case of inclement weather.

Can I have a marquee tent for a larger outdoor wedding?

The Annex Courtyard comes with tenting already installed and is included in the rental fee. Because our septic system is limited, extra portable washrooms must be brought in for events over 130 guests (they actualy can be quite luxurious). The Town of Caledon noise by-law requires that the party move indoors after 10:00 pm, so your your guests will have to move to the Millrace Room after dinner. 

Can we use your grounds for our photographs ?

Use of the grounds for photographs is included for those holding their ceremony and/or reception at the Alton Mill. For others, the grounds can only be used by prior arrangement and payment of a fee.

Can we book only our ceremony at the Alton Mill and have the reception elsewhere?

Yes. You can book the Annex or another space, including the Pond Gallery for your ceremony only, but not during peak season weekends.

Is there a facility rental contract ?

Yes. Use of the Alton Mill for private functions entails entering into a Facility Rental Agreement that outlines all of the terms and conditions of use. To book the facility, the contract must be signed and a 50% deposit paid. A security deposit is required, which is fully refunded unless there is damage to the property, an unusual mess is generated during the event, or extra services are provided beyond the original contract, the cost of which will be deducted from the deposit. A copy of the agreement is available upon request. Remember, even if we offer to hold a date for you while you finalize your arrangements, your date will be released if we do not receive the signed contract and deposit by the date specified by our co-ordinator when confirming the hold (usually two weeks).

Who does the set up and tear down ?

Typically, our staff will deliver the tables and chairs to the Millrace Room or Gallery hosting your function in advance of the function and the caterer or the party involved sets up the room. Similarly, at the end of the function, the tables and chairs are to be cleaned and put back as they were at the start (ie. stacked up). If you prefer to have our staff set up/tear down, this can be arranged at additional cost. The customer is responsible for ensuring the facility is left in a neat and tidy and reasonably clean condition.

Is there parking on site?

Yes. There are 65 parking spaces onsite and parking is free. In the event that more than 60 cars are anticipated, nearby offsite overflow parking can be arranged, as can parking lot attendants at an extra charge.

When is the Millrace Room available for private functions?

The Alton Mill is a public building open from 10 am to 5 pm Wednesday to Sunday. The Millrace Room may be used or set up during public hours, as long as access to the public is not blocked. After public hours the room will be available for your exclusive use, however people may pass through the space to get to our managment office or the Bridge Workshop.

Is directional signage allowed?

Yes. Signage to direct visitors to the Millrace Room and the other meeting rooms is permitted. The permitted locations and type of signage is set out in the facility rental agreement.

Are extra fees charged for music?

Yes. All events that include the use of music, whether recorded or live, are subject to SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors Music Publishers of Canada) and Re-Sound (which represents performers and record companies) licensing fees. The fees, including handling charges are $60 if there is no dancing or $100 if the event includes dancing.

Can I use candles?

Yes, candles can be placed on tables and on the window sills provided they have wide bases, their bases are weighted, and are enclosed in a glass container.

Sign up for our newsletter!

Be inspired year-round. Sign-up to our monthly newsletter for upcoming shows, events, new artists at the mill, and other travel tips!

We care about your privacy – no spam, promise! Read how we protect your information in our Privacy Polcy.

Artist showing their art to two visitors in a bright studio

Come experience the Alton Mill Arts Centre, and be inspired!

Plan your visit